By: Wildlife Biologist Bobby Bond, and Wildlife Technicians Randy Wood and Tommy Shover
The Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division has made some recent improvements for hunters on Oaky Woods Wildlife Management Area.
- There is a new kiosk at the fork coming into the WMA. This makes picking up a map or a copy of the Hunting Regulations more convenient if you’re not stopping by the check station. This was completed for an Eagle Scout project with the Boy Scouts of America.
- The cut-through road has been re-opened for the first time in nearly a decade …
- … with repairs made to the breach in the crossing with a new culvert.
- Rusted out culverts on the Loop Road at the Big Grocery crossing have been replaced.
- The campground has been expanded and improved.
- Some roads that have been closed to vehicle traffic for years have been opened and graveled.
- New permanent firebreaks can be used for hunter access and areas to hunt.
I commend you all for these improvements!! I ride and roam Oaky woods a lot and love the work you have done. Just want you to know I appreciate everything you do to improve and keep this property beautiful and accesable!
Georgia DNR, Wildlife Resources Division
Thanks for the support! I’ll pass this along to area staff.